**Register and rent gear at the Ski League Open House, Tuesday December 17, 2013, 4 to 6 pm at Glacier Cyclery & Nordic Shop, 326 2nd Street East in downtown Whitefish**
Kids ages 4 through 12 will have the opportunity to have a super time this winter skiing with the Chet Hope Youth Ski League. Volunteer coaches help kids and teens learn how to explore the winter landscape on Nordic skis. Ski League skiers ski in small groups beginning with the youngest “Penguins” and moving through all ages and skiing abilities.
Skiers learn and improve classic ski skills by participating in cooperative games and through encouraging activities. The emphasis for the most accomplished groups will be adventure…exploring everywhere on and off trail.
Each skier in the League will be guided to master at least one of the program’s five skiing skill levels. The final session is “Celebration Day” for what all skiers have accomplished and with rewards for everyone!
Accomplished skiers, age 7 and up, interested in more coached ski time each week are invited to join the Junior Jets. Please view the Junior Jets page for more information.
Chet Hope Youth Ski League 2014
Head Coach: Nancy Anderson, 471-2712
Ages: Aspiring and accomplished skiers age 4 to 12.
When: 7 Saturday Mornings, January 11th – February 22nd, 2014
Where: Glacier Nordic Center at the Whitefish Lake Golf Course
Time: 9:45-11:45 a.m. Meet at 9:45; ski from 10:00 to approx. 11:30, 11:30 to 11:45 wrap-up and hot chocolate/cider time.
Cost: $40 for Glacier Nordic Ski Club Members/$45 for non-members (see membership information on this website)
What to bring…(All labeled with child’s name)
- Clothing -Skiers need to dress in layers with a snow and wind resistant outer layer. Wear wool or synthetic socks (cotton tends to make feet wet and cold). Water proof/resistant gloves/mittens are necessary. Remember a hat and sunscreen. A scarf/neck gator to protect face and eye protection are recommended.
- In a small belt pack or backpack a water bottle and extra gloves if possible.
Equipment: Skiers will need Classic skis (no-wax with fish scale pattern on bottom preferred) boots and poles. Having gear in good shape and sized appropriately is necessary for a good time to be had by all. All groups will be learning classic and freestyle techniques. Skiers can learn to skate on classic gear, but it is very hard to learn classic technique on skate gear.
Seasonal rentals are available for CHSL participants from the Glacier Cyclery & Nordic Shop. Other shops may also offer rentals. Information will be posted as it becomes available.
Registration: To register, rent equipment, and learn more about the CHYSL please join us for: Ski League Open house, see below
Print and Send in the CHYSL Registration 2014 here.
More info Chet Hope Youth Ski League.
Register and rent gear at the Ski League Open House, Tuesday December 17, 2013, 4 to 6 pm at Glacier Cyclery & Nordic Shop, 326 2nd Street East in downtown Whitefish
Coaches will be available to answer questions, help with registration and fit gear to your child.
If you can’t make the Open House. Registration Forms and Information can be picked up beginning December 1, 2013 at the following locations: Whitefish and Kalispell Nordic Ski Shops, Columbia Falls Public Library, and Public School offices in Whitefish.
Please register no later than January 6, 2014.
- Become a Chet Hope Coach: Without Parent and Community volunteers this program will not happen. Please consider coaching the CHSL this winter. It is rewarding and the youth of the valley need your support and help. A free GNC membership (membership includes season pass for skiing at the Glacier Nordic Center) will be given for the 2014-2015 ski season to any coach who is involved with the program for more than one half of the sessions this winter. Are you interested in coaching, but not sure what to do? No worries, there will be preseason and weekly coaches training available. Training includes information concerning: program organization; needs of kids as they grow and develop; nordic skill development; and, lesson planning and delivery. Coaches that can commit to all sessions, most or even half of the sessions are being sought. Substitutes are also needed. Most coaches are paired with another to team teach groups of kids of similar age and skiing ability. Please contact Nancy Anderson at email@example.com or 471-2712.
- Parents who are not serving as coaches are asked to help one session of the season check with your child’s coach for the day. Non skiing parents can help with snacks and activities.
- Parents of 4 and 5 year-olds are requested to join your child for all sessions, if possible.